Thursday, December 29, 2005

Composer news, December 2005

Some news from our little circle:

JJ has finished a song - There and back again - with the words taken from one of the verses I wrote long ago. The piece has attracted a bit of interest from other composers and musicians!

Andrew is making plans and constructions for a summer music festival in Muckleberry Gardens.

RAM is busy with many projects and duties, including teaching the little Duchess to appreciate and dance to the music of proper English.

Cedric Peachey's Fugal Fantasia for Clarinet Septet will be performed on March 18th 2006 by Southwark Consorts of Winds .

For news about Bernard, read his own report:
I'm working on two pieces simultaneously at the moment:

1. A children's opera for the W11 Opera company in London. Chincha-chancha cooroo is based on a Bengali children's story/animal fable and will be performed at the Royal College of Music in London on 9/10 December 2006 (book early to avoid disappointment).

2. A new piece for the BBC Singers based on the Norse myth "The Death of Balder." Initial ideas for the piece will be tried out in a public workshop at BBC Maida Vale Studios on 28 January, with the finished piece being performed at the Spitalfields Festival in London on 12 June 2006.

After these I shall have a rest!

14 comments:

JJ said...

You forgot something Cedric Peachey told us some days ago: he is getting his clarinet septet performed at Blackheath in London, on March 18th - I don't remember how to write the links.

MaLj said...

You write links either by using the "make link" function in the "compose mode", or by coding it in html mode the usual way. Like this, but with the < > tag marks in the proper places, where I have put [ ] instead: [a href="insert URL here and the quotation marks must be around it"] The Visible Link Name [/a]

JJ said...

Uh? Yes, I remember the HTML code now, thanks. But I am at a loss about the "make link" or the "compose mode". I think I have not seen those. Please, remember me I must add a new brain to my Christmas Wish List.

MaLj said...

Sorry, I did of course talk about the "compose mode" for creating new posts to the blog. The comment posting has no such thing. Need a new brain, too, I think.

MaLj said...

..and after many hours of thinking I can do no wrong, I found an error in my expertly coded post, so now I have fixed it and finally got the link to CP's piece to work!

Andrew Lowe-Watson Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

Muckleberry Gardens sounds like a home for stray cats - or composers. Yes, the music studio will take about 25-30 people maximum so whether I 'll be able to have professional concerts is open to question, but I am planning a chamber concert this year, probably in August to give me time to prepare. I might play a piece by a Sibelius composer, if it is not too hard, and also perhaps team up with some wind players for the Mozart Quintet.
Cedric - good news. Where?
Maria - could you mail me the password?

MaLj said...

No, I don't have access to that info about your account. Try the main page at blogger.com

Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

I see. But now I am a mysterious composer with no name. I want to be me.

Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

No. I do have a name. whoopee!

Bernard Hughes said...

I'm working on two pieces simultaneously at the moment:

1. A children's opera for the W11 Opera company in London. Chincha-chancha cooroo( is based on a Bengali children's story/animal fable and will be performed at the Royal College of Music in London on 9/10 December 2006 (book early to avoid disappointment).

2. A new piece for the BBC Singers based on the Norse myth The Death of Balder. Initial ideas for the piece will be tried out in a public workshop at BBC Maida Vale Studios on 28 January, with the finished piece being performed at the Spitalfields Festival in London on 12 June 2006.

After these I shall have a rest!

Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

The Grimms fairytale festival have asked my permission to include foour of my songs in a commercial CD called "Songs of the Märchenfestspiele." It appeasr I might have to join GEMA to get any royalties. Dies anyone now what the situation is n Germany. WIth the shows themselves I was negotiating whta is termed Grand Rights so GEM A did not apply at that stage.

I shall probably post this on SIB MUS too.

Andrew

Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

Sorry everyione! Bad PArkinson's day. (BPA)

Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

I have cleared up the GEMA question and given my permission for the songs to be recorded. I can join GEMA by filling an online form. I probably should have joined some time ago.

Amdrew


Can't excuse my bad typing above. Probably half asleep at the time.

Andrew Lowe-Watson said...

And my name is not Amdrew either