Thursday, June 22, 2006

The First Thread of a Pattern

I first experimented with writing music when I was around fourteen or so. As with most young people, especially the ones we've lately seen at Sibelius Music, I was a bit ambitious, and did many things that exceeded my grasp. However, an interesting recollection...one that illustrates a great difference between the youth I was and the youth we often see today, as well as a pattern that has continued into my twilight [sic] years...is as follows:

A friend mentioned my compositions to our choral instructor in high school. She asked to see some of my things, and after a quick look at some choral pieces, she posed the fatal question..."Would you like the chorus to try some of them out?"

My answer? "No, thank you."

1 comment:

MaLj said...

My "first period" of writing music ended when I was thirteen or so. After the short piano things I had composed as a child, I started on a piece of program music -- "The story of the mean horse groom" -- that I meant to orchestrate like a piano concerto or something. I knew next to nothing about horses, piano concertos, or orchestras. I stopped after I had worked a couple of weeks on creating a melodic theme, but in spite of all my efforts, ambitions, dreams of successes and fame, the thing I had improvised and written down still was less interesting than the first bar of "Für Elise". Which I think I realized was a sign that I shouldn't waste more time trying to compose, until I got some really good musical ideas, and knew how to notate and develop them!

The performances of my pieces I have most enjoyed, are when I know the musicians can do their job without more instructions from me than what's in the written music, and I hear from them afterwards that everyone was pleased with the result -- and I can stay at home and imagine what the event is like, and avoid the stress and dissappointment of attending it.